Title IX and College Discipline
EDUCATIONSyracuse University College of Law, J.D., 2006
Syracuse University, B.A., summa cum laude, 2003
- 2007, New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
Kimberly C. Lau
Tel: (212) 984-7709
Fax: (212) 972-9150V-Card
Kimberly C. Lau is Partner and Chair of the Title IX and College Discipline Practice, concentrating her practice on Title IX actions, gender discrimination, due process, first amendment and defamation matters.
Her experience includes state and federal practice, trials, arbitrations, mediations and appeals in commercial litigation, defamation actions and Title IX/college disciplinary matters. She has represented numerous students both male and female in nearly 200 proceedings addressing a broad spectrum of disciplinary matters, including, academic dishonesty, theft, harassment, sexual misconduct, and gender discrimination at major college and universities across the country. She regularly serves in a critical advisory role during student disciplinary proceedings.
The primary goal of her college disciplinary practice is to advocate for student rights during the disciplinary process in all types of disciplinary matters, whether the student is a complainant or the accused. Accused students seek Ms. Lau’s assistance to help them develop an appropriate defense, and safeguard their due process rights before a life-altering decision is made. Meanwhile, complainants requiring support in navigating the disciplinary process look to Ms. Lau’s professional advocacy and guidance to ensure that their rights are protected and respected.
The core beliefs that guide her work are fairness, accountability and due process. Students seeking a resolution for their grievances on campus are entitled to a transparent and thorough process. At the same time, when male or female students go through a process in which they are presumed guilty until innocent, it runs contrary to due process, a stronghold of our American legal system.
Ms. Lau's affiliations include the New York County Lawyers Association, the New York Women's Bar Association, FACE (Families Advocating for Campus Equality), National Association of Professional Women, and Asian Women in Business.
She regularly teaches continuing legal education programs regarding Title IX enforcement and litigation, and the evolving landscape of Office for Civil Rights’ Title IX guidance. Ms. Lau has authored numerous articles on issues affecting how colleges and universities handle sexual assault on campus, the federal privacy statutes impacting student education records, and tips from her extensive experience in handling nearly 200 cases in this area across the nation at both public and private education institutions.
Ms. Lau’s expertise in Title IX and college disciplinary matters has been featured on national news outlets, such as, CNN, ABC's Nightline, and The Wall Street Journal, and she has been quoted in national news media, including Newsweek, Yahoo News, The New York Observer, and The Daily Beast.
Ms. Lau is on the Board of Directors of FACE (Families Advocating for Campus Equality). FACE advocates for due process in college disciplinary tribunals. She regularly engages in lobbying efforts on the topic of our nation’s campus disciplinary systems in Washington D.C. with the goal of educating legislators on all perspectives, and effecting change.
- New York County Lawyers Association
- New York Women's Bar Association
- Families Advocating for Campus Equality (FACE) - Board of Advisors for FACE
- National Association of Professional Women
- Asian Women in Business
- Syracuse University Law Alumni Association - Board Member
- On September 29, 2020, Kimberly C. Lau and members of the firm’s Title IX and College Disciplinary Matters practice presented a New York State Bar Association webinar titled, “A New Era For Title IX: An Overview Of The Department Of Education’s New Regulations.”
- Kimberly C. Lau participated in Syracuse University College of Law’s alumni weekend as part of a panel of alumnae hosted by the Women’s Law Student Association on September 24, 2020.
- On August 20, 2020, Kimberly C. Lau was a featured panelist on a virtual alumni panel for her alma mater, Syracuse University School of Law, where she spoke to students in the school’s JDi program.
- On August 3, 2020, Kimberly C. Lau presented a Lawline CLE on “The Future of Title IX Under the Department of Education’s New Regulations.”
- Kimberly C. Lau spoke at a New York County Lawyers' Association/Westchester County Bar Association CLE program on “What Schools Need to Know About The New Title IX Regulations” on July 30, 2020.
- Kimberly C. Lau co-presented a continuing legal education course, “The Proposed OCR Regulations: What’s New” at the Fifth Annual Symposium on Representing Accused Students on April 5, 2019 in Washington, D.C.
- Kimberly C. Lau co-presented a continuing legal education course, “Handling the School Investigative Process” at the Fourth Annual Symposium on Representing Accused Students on Friday, March 23, 2018 Washington, D.C.
- Kimberly C. Lau was a featured speaker at the 2nd Annual Title IX ExecuSummit in Connecticut on July 25, 2017.
- Kimberly C. Lau was a featured speaker in a panel discussion on “Raising the Bar: Creating a Legal Path,” sponsored by Asian Women in Business and held on April 19, 2017.
- Kimberly Lau served as a lead speaker for continuing legal education program, "Navigating Due Process and Title IX Issues in Campus Sexual Assault Procedures," sponsored by Lycurgus Group, LLC.
PODCASTSFeatured as a guest attorney on the WB Perspectives podcast series. View podcasts
- Super Lawyers New York Metro (2022)
- Super Lawyers New York Metro Rising Stars (2014 - 2021)
- Super Lawyers Top Woman Lawyer in New York Metro
- Crain’s New York Business 2019 40 Under 40
- Crain’s New York Business 2020 Notable Women in Law