PRACTICESConsumer Financial Services Litigation and Compliance
Corporate and Securities
EDUCATIONQueens College, City University of New York, B.A., 2001
New York Law School, J.D., 2007
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of New York
Scott E. Wortman
Mr. Wortman focuses on consumer financial services litigation, including individual and class action defense, regulatory proceedings, and administrative investigations.He also represents and counsels clients on corporate and regulatory compliance procedures in a wide variety of consumer financial areas. Mr. Wortman has successfully litigated and resolved numerous matters brought under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Truth in lending Act, related consumer torts, associated state consumer protection laws and administrative/regulatory actions.
- New York State Bar Association
- Center for Behavioral Health Services - Vice Chairman, Board of Directors
- ACA International, the Association of Credit and Collections Professionals, Member Attorney Program
- Member, Banking Committee of the New York State Bar Association
- DBA International - Chairperson, New York State Legislative Committee (August 2011 - December 2015)
- New York State Bar Association, Banking Law Committee (May 12, 2017, New York, NY): Part of a panel of leading experts discussing UDAAP enforcement by the CFPB under the Dodd-Frank Act, as well providing an overview of the potentially seminal CFPB enforcement case before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.
- Article III Standing After Spokeo (November 30, 2016, New York, NY): CLE presentation on the impact of Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins, and the divergent applications by courts of Spokeo on the requirements for a plaintiff to establish Article III standing.
- The National Creditor Bar Association (NARCA) - Litigation Boot Camp CLE (November 11, 2016, New York, NY): As part of a full day NARCA educational offering at New York Law School, I am presenting on essential evidentiary concepts for creditors - including judicial notice, submitting evidence in an engaging manner for admissibility, hearsay and sufficiency of proof.
- Dissecting the CFPB’s Proposal – What you Need to Know (August 2, 2016): Part of a panel of leading legal experts sharing their insights and perspectives on what the CFPB has proposed, and the effects those proposals will have on creditors, as well as the collections and debt-buying industry. The Webinar is hosted by AccountsRecovery and sponsored by Web Recon, LLC.
- LendIt USA (April 12, 2016, San Francisco, CA): Presenting at the global online lending community's flagship conference on strategies to protect and defend against class action lawsuits.
- New York State Bar Association's 139th Annual Meeting (January 27, 2016, New York, NY): Presentation on behalf of the Banking Law Committee regarding the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, a recent FCC ruling regarding robo-calling of customers by banks, and TCPA compliance requirements for banks.
- TCPA Webinar (November 17, 2015) - Part of a legal panel hosted by AccountsRecovery, providing a comprehenslve assessment of the legal and practical landscape of the TCPA following the FCC's landmark Declaratory Ruling and Order.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- New York Area's Top Rated Lawyers of 2015, New York Magazine - Legal Leaders